Wednesday, May 25, 2011

10 Questions with New Youth Intern Derek Sullivan

Email Derek
1. What was your life like as a child?

Life growing up as a child was very difficult when I wasn't with my grandparents. My birth dad was a drunk and drug user, and my mom always worked to support us. My birth dad was like this because he was a musician, and he was out a lot! My older brother and I were left home to take care of ourselves, and when my little brother came along we had to take care of him as well. Now, we did have fun! I got in lots of trouble and I goofed off, but we knew when we had to take life seriously.

When I was 18, something significant happened in my life. God placed me in my adopted-family's home. These people loved me, helped me in any way you could imagine and my spiritual dad discipled me (and is still to this day) and is helping me prepare for a life in ministry!

2. How did you come to know Jesus and become his follower?

I came to know Jesus when I was 7 years old. I was sitting on a staircase with an AWANA leader and she shared the Gospel with me. Now, I never had any assurance of my salvation until I was in Bible College. I can't remember the exact date, but I remember one of my best friends (Stan) and I sat outside and just prayed for assurance and repentance of sin, and that night I truly surrendered to the Lordship of Christ and His call to ministry on my life!

3. If someone had not seen you or heard from you in the last ten years, what would most surprise them about you?

This is a good question.  Growing up I was always a “bad kid," So they would be surprised at the fact that I am now a minister of the Gospel!

4. How does working with Stephens students this summer fit into God's calling on your life?

Well, this summer will give me a chance to see the needs of the youth from a minister's point of view. God has indeed called me to the ministry, and this is just a stepping stone (that I take very seriously) into the life of a pastor/minister. I always remember Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”

So God is using this summer to help me grow into the leader He has called me to be!

5. You're going to prison for life. You are entitled to the Bible, another book, the complete works of one band/singer, one movie, and a lifetime supply of one food. What would you choose?

Haha! This is a good one. I would have to choose “Desiring God” by Dr. John Piper as my book.  I love Chris Tomlin, so anything from him in regards to music. I would want the movie Luther because you see the truth of the Word being brought forth to all who will listen to Martin Luther! And as for food, well, I love me some Raman Noodles!!

6. What is your favorite Scripture? How has it changed your life?

I like to say, “The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to change the man of God for the glory of God!”
This is a good question and I will say that my favorite Scriputre has indeed changed over the past couple of years. But as of a month ago, I stumbled upon the song of David in 1 Chronicles 16:23-25a which says:

23 Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim the good news of His
salvation from day to day.
24 Declare His glory among the nations,
His wonders among all peoples.
25 For the LORD is great and greatly to be praised;
My heart's desire to is proclaim the majesty of our King through the Gospel!

7. If you had the money to plan a perfect day for yourself (and whoever else you want with you), what would you do on that day?

I know this will sound “spiritual” but it's true. I would want to do a county wide block party and just love on people and share the Good News of salvation through Jesus Christ with them all!

8. You and Jesus are spending the afternoon together and He lets you pick one other person from history to be there, too.  Who do you choose?
Hmm, it would have to be King David. First, because the Messiah was promised to come from his lineage. Second, he was a man after God's own heart. Third, because I just like him!

9. What was the most life-changing event that you have experienced since coming to know Jesus?

Well, on May 11th, 2010 my birth dad passed away from a massive stroke induced by drug abuse. He was clean for a long time, and in that time of soberness he and I began to rebuild our relationship. I loved my birth dad very much but I don't believe I will be with him in heaven. To this day I still get emotional about him, but I have the love of the Father poured out in my heart by the Spirit of promise (Romans 5:5)!

10. What is your hope for this summer?

My hope for the summer is that the Gospel will be presented, that students will come to Jesus, that they will be changed for His glory, and that they will begin to share with their friends and invite friends to church!

No comments:

Post a Comment