Sunday, March 25, 2018

Holy Week Prayer Guide: Palm Sunday

Sunday: Jesus Enters Jerusalem in Triumph

Key verse: Matthew 21:9—“The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted,
‘Hosanna to the Son of David!’
‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!’
‘Hosanna in the highest!’


When Jesus entered Jerusalem riding on a donkey, he was signaling to the people that he really was the promised Savior they had been looking for. Centuries before, the prophet Zechariah wrote:

Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.”

The people responded by making his entrance into the city like the coming of a victorious king or general. They shouted, “Hosanna” (which means “Lord, save!”), and they laid out their garments and palm branches to make a path into the city.

What a welcome Jesus received! They welcomed him as their King and as their Savior. They praised God for him and received him with joy. It would not be long before the crowds turned on Jesus. (They were looking for a political savior, not a spiritual one.) But here, on this first day of the week that would change the world forever, they gave Jesus the welcome he deserved.

Will you welcome Jesus today as your Savior and your King?

Prayer:
Jesus, I welcome you today as my King. Lead me to do the things you want me to do.
I welcome you as my Protector. Defend me from harm today.
I welcome you as my Savior. I can live free from the power and guilt of sin today.
I receive you with joy this week. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment