Friday, January 6, 2012

How will the members of this church treat one another?

A couple of months ago, we did a project on Sunday nights where our two groups used 1 Corinthians 13 to create statements for a "love pledge," describing how we ought to love one another as Christians.  I consolidated these statements with the pledge I wrote to come up with this, First Baptist's Love Pleadge for 2012:

The Love Pledge

“Love is patient…”
I will keep in mind that you will not change overnight… and neither will I.
I will respect and love you through all things, practicing the unconditional love of Jesus.


“Love is kind…”
I will look for needs you have that I can meet.
I will show concern for you and help you when you need me.

“It does not envy…”
I will take joy in what God gives you, and accept what God gives me with joy.
I will show pride in your accomplishments.

“It does not boast…”
I will humble myself and not try to place myself above you with my words.
I will remember that all I have comes from God and wait for Him to exalt me.

“It is not proud…”
I will seek a broken spirit and lift you up.
I will have a servant’s heart: I am your servant because I am God’s servant.

“It is not rude…”
I will be gentle in my words and actions.
I will ask before I take and listen to your cares and concerns.

“It is not self-seeking…”
I will put your needs before mine.
I will consider my way subordinate to God’s way and your way.

“It is not easily angered…”
Nothing will provoke me to defend my pride.
I will be compassionate and quick to forgive in difficult situations.

“It keeps no record of wrongs…”
I will have a short memory, forgiving without malice or bitterness.
I will not allow myself to relive or recall past mistakes and hurts.

“Love does not delight in evil…”
I will encourage you to do good deeds.
I will not encourage your destructive behavior or find humor in cruel words or actions.

“...but rejoices in the truth…”
I will find joy as we obey God’s Word.
I will celebrate your faithfulness in following God’s will as we walk the narrow path together.

“It always protects…”
I will defend you like family, sheltering you and standing in the gap on your behalf.
I will shield you from danger, even at the expense of my own reputation or standing.

“...always trusts…”
I will love you by deeming you worthy of my confidence.
I will show my confidence in you by being vulnerable, sharing my struggles, hurts and joys.

“...always hopes…”
I will expect the best from you.
I will never lose faith in you.

“...always perseveres…”
My love for you will be steadfast.
I will run the race with you and never give up on you.

Love never fails!

No comments:

Post a Comment