Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A New Confidence



"Oh My God"

I heard it again and again as the events of 9/11 unfolded. It slipped out of the lips of people as they stood with their eyes glued to the TV and the estimated death tolls began to be announced. I heard it as more buildings collapsed and as the smoke cleared in New York and you could see for the first time the massive hole in the New York skyline.

A lot of times people wonder where God is in times like these. One answer is that He is on the lips of those who are in the moment. People call out, “Oh my God! Holy … whatever!” Why?

Well, you might say that it’s just an exclamation, with no more meaning at the time than “Wow” or some cuss word, and you might have a point. But the very fact that the words “God” or “holy” are used in this way tells us something, and what it tells us is this:



Somewhere deep inside all of us, God has written His existence on our souls, and when something like this happens in front of us, that knowledge kind of leaks out. Something deep in our hearts knows what and who God is and that He is the only source of hope and the one ultimate power above our tragedy, so we cry out “Oh my God.”

For that brief moment, something deep within knows the greatest truth of the universe: the most important thing in the world is your relationship and standing with God. So at that moment, even the most worldly, agnostic, humanistic person in the world is likely to be heard crying out, “Oh my God!”

But the thing is that even though God has written His existence deep in our hearts, He never intended it to stay buried deep within. This is the theme of Paul's letter to the Ephesians, that God has revealed himself and his purpose to us through Jesus Christ. His prayer in chapter one is for us to know this truth by "seeing" it. His prayer in chapter three is that we know this truth by "grasping" it, by taking hold of it in our experience.

Almost everyone prays. Certainly every Christian prays at least occasionally. But how can we be confident that God hears us? How can we be confident of our standing with God—-that he would even listen if he does hear? How can I be sure that God will take care of me?

Paul's prayer for the Ephesians is a prayer for a new confidence, a confidence that allows us to freely, with affection and expectation, come to the Father in prayer and experience the full dimensions of our love relationship with God.

Listen to this episode

Download this episode (right click and save)

1 comment:

  1. I know that God hears my prayers because his word says he does. He Loves to listen to our prayers when our hearts are behind them - and when we know and admit that we are sinners and our best works are just not good enough - and so I thank Jesus everyday for leaving heaven - becoming a man - living a life without sin - taking the punishment for my sins - hanging on a cross - having our father - turn away as all the sins of all mankind were laid on his mortal body - giving up his human life and raising himself from the dead - taking his blood - his perfect sacrifice - back to heaven and cleaning up satens mess there - and here - What a loving God we have, to purchase us back through his own suffering and blood. It is so amazing - it is hard to comprehend that sort of love - and I just thank God that he loves me that much - and ask him to help me to love others as much as he loves me, well I can't love that much - but his love can work through me - I just have to allow him access to my heart and my life. my best to you and your family Steven!!

    ReplyDelete