Monday, May 23, 2011

You're Not So Special...

"I'm teaching people to worship themselves"
- Lady Gaga

Over the last five years or longer, I've told just about anyone who will listen that America's idol is consumerism.  Of course, we consume for ourselves, for our own prestige and indulgence and our own future happiness or health.  So the question becomes, really, how can consumerism be a god in and of itself?  It is really just a front for narcissism, the fascination with and even worship of oneself.

I came across an interesting article today on our culture's descent into narcissism over the past three decades, in particular.  Don't miss the end of the article that gives practical ways to fight narcissism in the way you raise your children.  But we also need to fight it in ourselves.  I will be thinking on that question over the next couple of months.  I would love to read your comments as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment